Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Stars are Pretty

"The stars are pretty aren't the Jed?" I asked, looking out at a speckled navy sky, far in the wilderness, away from the pollution of civilization. The darkness was so complete that even the hazy smog of the Milky Way band could be clearly seen stretching across the night sky like some nebulous halo.

"They sure are. God's gift to man kind indeed." Jed replied. Jed was a heavy set man, religious, wearing a cross around his neck. Jed was older, a pastor at a nearby church and a man with an interest in stars nearly as complete as his faith in Jesus.

I appreciated the kind old man, he had words of wisdom and was smart in many degrees. But I remember this night because I could not help but feel a profound disgust for what happened next.

We had set up a telescope and I looked into it. A wonderous view of distant stars from a whole different galaxy came through the lens.

"Look at that, the Andromeda Galaxy," I said. "Have a look."

"I see nothing," Jed replied, stepping away from the telescope.

"I don't understand."

"Then I shall explain. The Bible says the universe was formed 6000 years ago. I believe that. Thus when I look in your telescope, I see no stars for they are beyond 6000 light years away. The light has not arrived yet. Thus I do not see them."

"But clearly you can see them through the telescope."

"No John, you are deluded. There are no stars in that telescope. The light has not arrived yet. I cannot see them."

I sighed.

No comments: