Friday, February 27, 2009

The Old Guitarist

I was rather impressed with the old guitarist I met the other day. He was at a bonfire in the park at night, playing some old Woodie Guthrie songs. It was just him and his guitar, the melodies drifted into the soft cool night, a perfect blend of human voice and guitar string.

He was selling tapes. But no CD's. Nothing digital. Being 2008, I was shocked to see that. I wasn't even sure if cassette decks still existed in stores anywhere.

I told him he should burn his music onto a CD.

He asked me why he'd want to burn a CD? He asked me, is it better than firewood?

I looked at him odd. I then explained to him that burning a CD is the act of putting music onto one.

He nodded as if he understood. I handed him a blank CD and was about to tell him how it worked, but suddenly, he threw the disk into the fire. He pulled out his guitar and started singing into the fire.

No comments: