Thursday, February 26, 2009

Maidenform

You'd think I'd be embarrassed by working at a store like Maidenform and being a guy, but it was the only job available in town and I have college bills. It actually isn't so bad, I run the counter and stock the shelves. They obviously don't let me in the changing rooms. If a girl needs to try something on, there's another female employee around to help out.

So one day I'm behind the counter bored as hell. I'd listen to my iPod but the manager's a bit of prick and doesn't allow such amenities, even though it's a Thursday morning and there hasn't been a customer in thirty minutes. She was out back busy with paperwork. The door chimed and a large fat man came in. He wore a plain black tee-shirt and jeans. Paul Bunyan could have poked three holes in him and used him as a bowling ball. He went over to the racks where the large bras were. Not the Pamela Anderson large, but the fat opera singer large. He picked out several bras, some of them pink and frilly and then came up to me at the counter.

"Those for the wife?" I asked genially, making small talk.
"No," he said in all seriousness and without an ounce of shame, "I'd like to try these on."
I paused.
"Fitting rooms are behind the um . . . what?"
"I'd like to try these on."
"Behind the racks over there," I pointed. I wanted to laugh or cry but couldn't.
"I'd like your assistance," he said.
I no longer wanted to laugh. Just cry.
"It's uh, against policy for uh, male employees to go into the fitting rooms. Yeah, policy."
"Oh cut that out," the man replied. "You made that up."
"Look man, I wouldn't know how to put on a bra! Take one off, yeah sure, but . . . why me?"
"I just need someone who can see that they'll fit."
"I uh . . . there are mirrors."
"But I need to know how they look."
"How they look . . . not to be mean but . . . you're a guy . . . in a bra. . . Shannon?"
The manager came out.
"Whats the problem?" she asked.
"This gentlemen would like to try on some bras, but needs assistance."
"Look in the policies, only members of the same sex can share stalls, you go with him."

This job sucks.

No comments: